Nine years ago today the #2 ranked Ohio State Buckeyes shocked the #1 Miami Hurricanes in a double overtime victory for the BCS championship.
I only know this because all the guys in my wedding party were constantly trying to find a TV to check the score.
It was nine years ago today that I married the love of my life. We were married at the gorgeous Herrington Inn in Geneva, IL on January 3rd 2003. On one hand it feels as though it has only been moment since we committed to love one another until ‘death do us part,’ and on the other hand there has been so much ‘life’ that has occurred that it is shocking it has only been nine years. Either way, I am thankful for the past nine years and thrilled to call Amber my wife.
Why is she so great?
I am glad you asked, here are 9 Reasons why I love my wife:
1. Amber is Beautiful – From the day I first met Amber to today she has only grown more and more beautiful. From her strikingly blue eyes and dark brown hair to her infectious smile I am daily reminded that I am a lucky man. Her beauty goes far deeper than the surface as you will see in the rest of these reasons.
2. Amber is Selfless – I have never met someone who puts others before themselves as much as Amber. It’s what makes her an amazing mother, someone that people feel they can open up to, and a joy to be around. I am continually reminded of my selfishness in contrast as I do things to benefit me and whatever she does is for the betterment of someone else.
3. Amber is Passionate – When Amber is fired up about something you will know. Since she is so selfless she has a heart for others and is willing to fight for those who do not have a voice. She is passionate about her family, her relationship with God, and people who bike on the road instead of the sidewalk (sorry babe, I had to).
4. Amber is Funny – She is one of the wittiest, sarcastic people I know. I am usually on the receiving end of said wit, but still I am continually laughing when we are together. What she finds the funniest is scaring the crap out of me. I never know if she is hiding around the next corner ready to pounce and freak me out. I have slowly come to appreciate and expect it.
5. Amber is Smart – Amber knows a lot about everything. I am not kidding. She has a quick mind an
d can hold her own in any conversation. I am always impressed by her wisdom that far exceeds her years. She should have been a lawyer.
6. Amber is Spontaneous – One of the best attributes about Amber is her spontaneity. At the spur of a moment we could be in the car driving to DeKalb for some corn festival or headed in to the city to find a little bakery that she discovered. I love it. It keeps things fresh. You never know when a family wide wrestling match might ensue with Amber as the instigator. Don’t ever change, Amber.
7. Amber is Creative – She has the most amazing ideas. She comes up with ideas all the time. I will give you one example. She has an amazing gift when it comes to cooking or baking. If you have been to our house for dinner or dessert you know what I am talking about. The difference between Amber and myself is that I have to follow a recipe to the exact specifications, no deviations or additions. Whereas Amber will create when she cooks. She doesn’t follow a recipe she just knows what to do. She will see a dish at a restaurant and be able to recreate it at home and it’s better than what we paid money for. It’s wonderful and I have a waistline that proves it.
8. Amber is Competitive – It’s how we met. Playing volleyball and she would not stop trash talking me. She was competitive. It was all in good fun but that is what made me seek her out and find out more about this girl. We have been playing games ever since and she loves to beat me whenever she can.
9. Amber is a Motivator – Amber has a gift to be able to speak into peoples lives and motivate them to do something greater. She has been my greatest supporter and enragement. She is constantly seeing things in me that I don’t see myself and stirring me up to achieve greater things. I am not the only who has benefitted from her, there are countless numbers of people who have sat down for coffee with her and come away refreshed and encouraged.
I could go on about how amazing my wife is but I’m sure you need to get back to work now.